Tuesday 20 November 2012

Week 1.

Week 1.



Irrelevant Mornings?

I know its not the end of the week, in fact its more like the beginning, but we don't really have many lectures left this week, and I have a fair bit to talk about.

A week where Monday mornings seem like a chore is common to most people, as is the case with me, but for a somewhat different reason. Forcing yourself out of bed early in the morning for a lecture is always an unpleasant experience, but when you combine that with a lecture that hardly any of your class turns up for and you have a recipe for a bad start to the day.

 Studying Journalism is what I have come to University for, and when only a small proportion (If any) of the lecture is relevant to the course it makes me debate coming to the lectures. But I do.

I am paying money for the lectures so sit down obediently and take in the information constantly thrown in my direction, taking it down in notes, even though some of it is obviously aimed other course subjects in the room. Those 3 hours are quite possibly the worst of the week, but all in all, they aren't that bad.


Then the Week picks up.

Monday afternoon is always insightful, a Film and Media module which provides relief from the other aspects of the day, led by someone who is currently working in the industry, meaning that come Wednesday and critical thinking I am fresh and ready for whatever can be thrown at me.

A course which aims to broaden the mind, and truly reflect and appreciate what you have learnt, Critical thinking is in my view vital to success at higher levels. The last in depth piece of Critical thinking that the course completed was a 1000 word essay on 'Why Journalism Matters', as following that we entered the production week for the student newspaper, as well as having our other sessions swallowed up by researching and completing the essay.

When writing critically i always try to make myself stand out, over-complicating my prose (even doing it now) sometimes in order to try and hide the fact that i was not too sure on the task in hand. However, following my first, somewhat rubbish attempt at an essay with over a week till the deadline, i set about my work again, reading and re reading, quoting and referencing, until i got the piece to a standard that i was happy with. 

The finished article may not be the best work that i have ever done, but the effort which went into producing it was certainly of a level that i hope to work at continually. New styles of referencing, using multiple sources as well as combining text from practicing journalists gave the essay meat to the bones that i had conjured up earlier, and overall i was pleased with the end product.


Finishing Off.

Although i feel that i could have produced a better standard of essay, that experience will come with time and teaching, and for the time being at least i am content with my progress.

Thanks for reading, and see you on the next one.

Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment