Thursday 10 October 2013

Back To Work

After a long summer break work has begun again, and now a few weeks into the new semester it is time for another blog post.

On Saturday and Sunday last week I started and pretty much finished my notes on the seminar for the Wednesday just been, which was on Technology, Culture and Profit and its role in the evolution of Journalism. Using different sources, from books to articles in papers to online journals, I certainly found it a lot easier this time around than I did last March when I was probably less prepared, and aware of the demands of a seminar.

I do also feel that this time around I was able to be more confident in my points, and ultimately feel a little less nervous, though by no means perfect. It would count as an improvement, but one that required even more if I am to perform to the best of my ability in other seminars.

Article writing has also carved out a big portion of my time over the last few weeks, with NIBS being written for a Tuesday session with Nick Turner from the CN Group, as well as an article on international students being completed, having to contact the S.U as well as a number of foreign students for their views on Carlisle, and its subsequent culture.

The article that interested me the most was definitely the Lakes International Comic Art Festival, from which I was able to get a few quotes from the founder of the festival. To follow up with this I have been asked to write a short ‘3 places not to miss’ for the event, which I will be completing later today. Although it may be seen as a ‘fluff’ article, it is something that interests me, and if you find something interesting, than it is undoubtedly going to be a better piece of work than something that you are not.

Finally we come to Councillors, the current bane of my life. In order to interview a councillor, they first have to answer my phone calls or reply to my emails, something that a number of them seem unable to do. Surprising, given that they are meant to represent the people, and listen to them. I will keep on at them, and eventually one of them will reply, and just at this moment of time I wouldn’t care if it was the County Council leader, right down to the lowest Parish bookkeeper.




Thanks for reading, and look forward to the next one,

Jon

Follow Me On Twitter @JonCarter1994


No comments:

Post a Comment