Thursday 13 December 2012

Week 4.

Week 4.


It's Nearly Christmas


With Christmas nearly upon me at Uni, the amount of work set upon me has increased somewhat, but i have managed to cope with it all amiably, and i'm happy to say that i'm on top of everything that i have to finish, with the final week now coming into focus.

Of all the work that we have been set, the portfolio for practices and principles as well as the critical thinking assignments and the work for Rob Charters, i have only one piece of Charters work to finish, as well as some final tweaking on my essay in order to bring it up to the standard that i am looking for in my course. This time when writing my critical thinking essay i produced a plan and constructed a first draft on the day that the assignment was set, so that the principles that Tony wanted us to put in place were still fresh in my mind. I feel that, unlike in my first draft of my 'Why Journalism Matters' essay, i produced something alot more worthwile and a better use of my time than previously, and when i handed it to Tony for moderation via email the next day, i was proved correct, after being told that my first draft would 'easily pass' the module.

Although that may have been the essay out of the way and a clear road until Christmas, there were improvements to be made (as always). Whilst some people in my class may feel that the improvement of their work is not worthwile and overall a chore which is not something to look forward too once the original work is out of the way, I feel that due to the amount of work that we have got i can create a high quality piece of analysis. The time given to us at University is time which you use to learn and develop your skills not only on your course, but also as a person.

Bit Of A Rant


Where as in the past i may have been content to just let the essay lie, i feel that as i am at University and paying the fees to study, i should study more than i did when in lower education. People skipping lectures or just generally doing nothing all day is something that i am growing to dislike more and more. That they seemingly don't want to better themselves despite all the available resources and help is something which will continue to bite at me, until they either learn that they want to work, or leave altogether. People who want something (in this case help) should not expect it for free, and those people who either don't turn up to lectures or sit around after twiddling their thumbs when they have work to do are people who, in my opinion, need to work harder to get where they want in life.

Working Tomorrow


Anyway, I am working at Cumbrian Newspapers tomorrow, the group who own all the right to publications in and around Carlisle, and Cumbria in general. The pay is good, and the experience of a full time journalistic workplace is even better, in short an opportunity that cannot be passed up.

Thanks for reading and see you on the next one,

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment